Democracy and development require the deepening of the process of participation of people on the one hand and effectiveness of institutions of governance on the other. Participation of people brings in the sense of belongingness and ownership and the second instills a sense of responsibility and urgency about the achievement of developmental objectives. Institutions like Gram Panchayats play a pivotal role in actualizing the objective and their effectiveness. Strengthening the affirmative action for accountable and transparent governance to provide fair access for rights and entitlements and raising the voices of the vulnerable and marginal population is one of the key focus of CSSS in all its operational area.
Achievements in 2016-17
- Organised 30 meetings in 15 villages in Nagrota area where 1121 persons including the PRI members participated. Issues for deliberations included, increased participation in the Gram Sabha, dissemination of information on the available schemes for the villages and promoting fair selection of beneficiaries.
- 15 Sensitization cum awareness camps on Right to Information and Public Service Guarantee act were conducted with the participation of 630 members in Nagrota area.
- SHG members at Harinagar under Smailpur unit mobilized themselves to get their village road macdemised.
- R.S. Pura unit organized 4 trainings on PRI in which 116 persons including panchayats memebrs participated.
- 8 awareness programmes were organized in R.S. Pura for the benefit of rural women for their access to government schemes and linkages with institutions.
- Majority of the SHG members have opened their bank accounts, as a step towards financial inclusion.
- Provided assistance to 35 persons with disability to obtain disability certificate from the Department of Social Welfare.